Skip To Content
Paloma LoperenaPaloma Loperena, a 2024 South University, West Palm Beach graduate of the Master of Science in Physician Assistant (PA) program, is committed to providing quality care and helping her patients achieve the best outcomes possible. That’s why she decided to refine and amplify her PA skills in a Physician Assistant Surgical Residency Program with Johns Hopkins Medicine. 

Building Expertise in Surgery Patient Care
“I wanted to take advantage of every resource available to enhance my abilities to be the best provider for my patients,” she shares. “What better place to do that than at Johns Hopkins! I knew I'd have the opportunity to experience growth and find mentorship in their program.”

This prestigious 1-year program provides hands-on training in advanced surgical concepts and techniques and accepts a limited number of students each year. As a resident, Paloma will complete clinical rotations with the cardiac, thoracic, vascular, trauma surgery, surgical ICU, surgical oncology/GI, and plastic and reconstructive surgery teams. In addition to working alongside experienced surgeons, physicians, and other medical professionals, she will participate in surgical grand rounds, lectures, and conferences. Residents also participate in simulation labs and an advanced trauma life support course.

A Strong Start to a PA Career1
Before attending South University, Paloma earned an undergraduate degree in biochemistry at the University of Houston. She also spent one year in Austin, Texas, getting hands-on patient experience at an ophthalmology office and volunteering at a rehab center. She then moved to West Palm Beach for PA school. 

“The faculty was the primary reason I selected South University,” she says. “They were so personable and kind. I knew I could see myself there.”

During the PA program, Paloma participated in activities like performing back-to-school physicals for kids, fundraising for low-income families, doing beach clean-ups, and more. As a student, she built strong relationships with her faculty members. “They provided me with great mentorship,” she says. “The faculty and staff have been there for me no matter what. They actually care about me and know me.”

Paloma also excelled in her classes and completed her master’s degree with high honors. Soon after, she passed the Physician Assistant National Certifying Exam (PANCE) and became a Certified Physician Assistant.2

South University is thrilled to congratulate Paloma on her accomplishments. We are confident that she has a bright future in the PA field!

-PS
: Paloma is one of two 2024 Physician Assistant graduates from South University, West Palm Beach selected for residencies at Johns Hopkins! Read about graduate Mackenzie Doughty’s PA residency next.

1South University does not promise or guarantee licensure, employment, or salary amounts.

2It is up to each student to review the national and state licensure requirements for licensure, as well as the eligibility criteria to sit for licensure exams.  South University cannot guarantee each graduate will pass the required licensure examinations.  Outside agencies control the requirements for taking and passing certification/licensing exams and are subject to change without notice to South University. Students must pass the required licensure to work in their respective field.

Testimonials have been provided by students/alumni in their own words and without coercion. This spotlight is based on information shared by Paloma Loperena in 2024.