Skip To Content

headshot of Aleksandra Avakova

After earning her Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) with a specialization in Nurse Educator online1 at South University in 2023, Aleksandra Avakova applied her new skills as a nursing theory and clinical instructor.2 In 2024, she took another exciting step in her nurse educator career. Now, Aleksandra serves as Director of Nursing at Summit Career College, which offers Certified Nurse Assistant and Licensed Vocational Nurse programs in California.

“I never thought I would be in a leadership position as a Director of Nursing at a nursing school,” Aleksandra says. “I feel incredibly grateful that the education I received at South University opened so many opportunities for me. I can make a real impact on the future of nursing and be able to train and guide a new generation of nurses along this beautiful journey!”

Aleksandra is a registered nurse (RN) with ten years of acute care experience. When she decided to go back for her MSN degree in 2021, she initially planned to pursue a family nurse practitioner specialization3. However, after starting the program, she discovered a passion for teaching. “I re-routed my major field of study due to falling in love with teaching!” Aleksandra explains.

Aleksandra wound up at South University after hearing about the school from a former coworker who earned her master’s degree here. As a student, she had positive experiences with her faculty and staff. “I really enjoyed working with the Program Director at South University,” Aleksandra shares. “She was very kind and stern but compassionate.”

With Aleksandra still working as an RN during her studies, taking online classes for her MSN program was a great fit*. She also found preceptors in local clinical4 and academic settings for her in-person practicums. These experiences allowed her to apply her knowledge in real-world settings and form valuable connections for her career.

“I absolutely love the remote setting for graduate programs in nursing and would consider getting my DNP [Doctor of Nursing Practice] at South University as well,” Aleksandra says. “It blended well with a busy schedule as a mom and a nurse, and it allowed me to have flexibility in study time.”

Want Us to Feature Your Story?
If you’re a South University grad and want to share your experiences and accomplishments, log in to our Alumni Site and click Share Your Story in the Alumni Success section.

--
1 Fully online programs can have a ground clinical or practicum experience.
2 South University does not promise or guarantee licensure, employment, or salary amounts.
3 South University cannot guarantee each graduate will pass the required licensure examinations.  Outside agencies control the requirements for taking and passing certification/licensing exams and are subject to change without notice to South University. Students must pass the required licensure to work in their respective field.
4 Clinical, practicum, and externship requirements exist in certain programs, including all nursing programs, and may not be flexible.

*Testimonials have been provided by students/alumni in their own words and without coercion. This spotlight is based on information shared by Aleksandra Avakova in 2024.