Skip To Content

Venita Yesko - South University Master of Science in Nursing Family Nurse Practioner student

“I represent the baby boomer generation who refuses to get old,” says Venita Yetsko, who at age 68 earned her Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) with a Specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP)1 in 2022 from South University’s online programs.2 “I had always wanted an advanced degree and believed in myself enough to go for it. You are always young enough to pursue further education.”

Venita entered the nursing field in 1977 when she earned a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)1 from the University of Akron, where she was part of one of the first baccalaureate nursing classes. (Getting a nursing diploma was a much more common path than pursuing a BSN at the time.) Once Venita became an RN, she practiced in medical-surgical, post-anesthesia care, GYN-urology, and neuro-intensive care. In 1988, Venita became the AIDS education coordinator for the American Red Cross, facilitating courses for corporations during a period in which AIDS was highly stigmatized.

Eventually, Venita’s path veered away from nursing. She married, had three children, and became a flight attendant, which allowed her and her family to travel worldwide. However, Venita always maintained her RN licensure and, in 2007, after 17 years, she returned to the field. “I immediately felt different about being a registered nurse,” she shares. “I wanted to do more at this stage to serve my patients and profession. I knew this would require an advanced degree in nursing.”

Venita decided to pursue an MSN FNP program. She was drawn to the professional autonomy that many FNPs have and to the idea of helping people of all ages with health conditions. In 2013, she made her move. While searching for online MSN programs, Venita discovered South University. With the guidance of her admissions counselor, she enrolled in the MSN FNP program and started her classes. As she progressed, she found a support system in the program faculty and staff, who consistently showed compassion and care for students.

“The staff and faculty mean everything in getting through the curriculum and clinicals for an advanced degree with a job and family,” says Venita. “I cannot say enough how helpful they were in making sure I moved forward in achieving my goal.”

Unfortunately, while Venita was working on her MSN, her 28-year-old daughter passed away. The tragic loss was compounded by previously losing a son and her husband. Overwhelmed by grief, Venita stepped away from her program. However, her desire for a degree remained and, four years later, she returned to South University to finish what she had started. Venita graduated in September 2022 with honors and attended commencement in 2023.

“I encourage anyone considering South University to take a good look at the university. I am confident they will find everything needed to be successful, whether pursuing their first or terminal degree in nursing,” says Venita. “The admission and financial counselors will be by your side to walk you through the admission process. Excellent academic counselors and professors will always help you to achieve your goal. Take it from one who suffered through adversity in her life, having to take time off pursuing her goal for an MSN degree, and years later, South University was there to lift me up.”

Today, Venita finds joy as a nursing instructor teaching students at Valley College in Cleveland, Ohio. “Every day that I instruct students, I hope to empower them with my knowledge so they can make good decisions and render safe nursing care,” says Venita. “I am honored to be part of their journey.”

Want Us to Highlight Your Story?

If you’re a South University grad and want to share your experiences and accomplishments, log in to our Alumni Site and click Share Your Story in the Alumni Success section.

1 Nurses must pass the NCLEX exam in order to work. Each student is responsible for reviewing all national requirements as well as any state requirements where the student is located for the most accurate information to work as nurses. South University cannot guarantee each graduate will pass the required licensure examinations. Outside agencies control the requirements for taking and passing certification/licensing exams and are subject to change without notice to South University. South University does not promise or guarantee employment

2 Fully online programs can have a ground clinical or practicum experience.

Testimonials have been provided by students/alumni in their own words and without coercion. This spotlight is based on information shared by Venita Yetsko in 2023.